MISSIONAL HABITS-WEEK 11 | TAKING THE NEXT STEP
AUTHOR: Caleb Jenkins
Re-read the passage from Tuesday (Luke 10:1-16). What new insights do you have?
Read the brief description of a missional habit, and take a concrete step toward developing that habit today.
Jesus, as He instructs His disciples on how to spread the good news throughout Israel, tells them to look to persons of peace. These are people who are receptive to the message about Jesus and the peace of God’s kingdom.The disciples would stay in these homes and use that as a way to share the gospel with others in that community.
Even today, there are many people of peace who would be receptive to the gospel message but often we can be too busy to notice them. Our fast-paced, modern culture prioritizes efficiency over relationships.We can miss people right in front of us that are made in God’s image and need to experience His love. Becoming more observant and slowing down to see others how God sees them is an important practice to develop as we seek to grow in relational evangelism.
Today, practice being observant.
Ask God to give you His eyes today; at home, your workplace, neighborhood, school, etc.
As you interact with others, be curious about them and ask God to give you His perspective. Pray that God would help you to love that specific person the way that He does.
Later today, reflect on your experience and identify one new thing you learned about another person.
Today, take time to practice intentional listening.
- Think ahead to one conversation you will likely have today and plan to practice intentional listening when that happens. It could be with a family member, co-worker, friend, or neighbor. Ideally, this would be one of your 9.
- When that conversation occurs, pray for the Spirit to empower you to listen well.
- Intentionally posture your body in such a way to best listen. Turn toward that person, sit up or stand straight so that you are ready to hear them well.
- Eliminate possible distractions for your attention (phone, computer, loud noises, etc.) while listening.
- Focus on what the other person is saying instead of thinking about what you will say in response.
- Occasionally, repeat what they have been saying in your own words and ask if that is an accurate representation of what they mean.
- Afterward, reflect on this experience. What was easy? What was difficult for you?
Pray for your 9 for 90 seconds; pray that they would have positive interactions with followers of Christ.
Day 76 of 90
Submit a Comment
Renewal | Rehearsing the Four Chapter Story
Click to read the Four Chapter Story.
MISSIONAL HABITS-WEEK 13 | TAKING THE NEXT STEP
Click to read about the missional habit of sharing the gospel.
Reflecting on 1 Corinthians 15:1-11
Click for links to read and listen to scripture.
The Passage from Tuesday is Romans 10:9-10
The passage above does not match, nor does the “listen”. I think there is a typo/hack here.
Thanks to this blog, I made a conscious effort to be more observant with an interaction yesterday.