Expanding our Prayer Practice | 06
Written By Taylor Fair
The disciplines are practices that the Spirit of God often uses to do His work of shaping us to be more like Jesus. In light of the sharpening article from Tuesday practice the discipline of prayer in this way today.
Think back to the article on prayer from Tuesday, Praying the Lord’s Prayer
- Take a blank piece of paper and a pen, to a quiet place where you can pray for 15 uninterrupted minutes.
- Write out the first line of the Lord’s Prayer, “Our Father in Heaven, hallowed be Your name.
- ”Let your heart pray each word to God as it is penned, then take several seconds to sit and meditate on the meaning of this line.
- Now, ask God to call to mind specific concerns in your life related to this line of the prayer (either for yourself or for others). As these arise in your mind, write them in bullet points underneath the line as you pray for them.
- Repeat this step for each line in the Lord’s Prayer, proceeding thoughtfully through the entire prayer as you present your related requests to God.
- As you close, choose one line that you want to attempt to pray responsively throughout the day. Ask the Holy Spirit to remind you of this line in the appropriate circumstances you encounter today, and seek to respond prayerfully with these words as much as possible. Notice how this practice shapes your heart during everyday tasks and conversations.